Thursday 29 May 2014

Why, Google?

I have been editing the template and arrangement for my new art blog, and I went to add the 'followers' widget.

What did I discover?

Google removed this widget a long time ago.

They've decided to integrate Google+ with Blogger. Ok, integrating Google+ with Youtube was annoying enough, but they've done it with Blogger as well?

I don't want my Google+ Profile showing up on my blog. It's just something I don't fancy. But, apparently, if I want to add a followers widget to my new blog, I'll have to.

Blogger and Google+ are two completely different platforms. Blogger: you write blog posts. Nice, long posts. You can even earn money through AdSense. You can use your blog as a successful site.

Google+ is more of a 'write a short status', 'like other people's statuses' kind of platform. Two completely different purposes, two completely different uses.

One wonders WHY Google has the need to integrate Google+ with everything. It's gotten ridiculous. I do use Google+, but I'd like it to stay separate from the other services that I use.

I got around the Youtube problem, by creating a separate channel with a separate email address. But I don't want to do that with my blogs, I think it would be too much of a hassle.

So, pretty much, I'm annoyed with Google and Google+.

What are your thoughts on Google forcing us to use Google+ with everything, even though we may not want this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, feel free to add a comment!
Please no swearing / inappropriate language etc., please.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!