Tuesday 3 June 2014

Calamity Jane!

The latest production at the local theatre was 'Calamity Jane'. Although I didn't audition (and didn't have a part at all), I was at nearly every rehearsal. Why? Well, Mum, Dad, and my brother all had parts in the play, and they were my lift home on the nights they had rehearsals, since I have other commitments in town on those days.

Calamity Jane on Stage!
As a result, I was able to watch a play come together from the sidelines, instead of being on the stage. It was quite an interesting experience.

Henry Miller (my Dad)

One day, I was approached and asked to be the stage hand. I said yes straight away. I knew the play completely, pretty much, anyway.


Selfie!

There was only a couple of set changes that the stage  manager and I had to take care of. So that part of it was very easy.

Francis Fryer (my brother)

The main trouble with being a stage person is keeping these rowdy actors in line! (Joking!)


'Wild' Bill Hickock and Flo

It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and I learnt so much from viewing the play from a different point of view than normal.
Jo (the bar tender), Cowby #10, and Henry Miller
(Mum, my brother, and Dad)

Calamity Jane herself


Katie Brown and Lieutenant Daniel Gilmartin

Susan Miller and Francis Fryer


The production was a hit! It was sold out nearly every night, with several walk-ins as well. The songs were very catchy. I still have all of them going through my head, half a week after the play was finished.

It was an absolutely brilliant play.

Have you ever been involved in a play? Have you ever seen a play? What was it? What's your favourite play?

2 comments:

  1. Helena,

    Sounds like you all had a fantastic time. We love performing together. (Well, I don't perform because I am not musical but the others do!) I can see your family is the same. Will you audition for the next play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,

      It is a lot of fun performing together! I missed the auditions for the next play, but I might audition for the one at the end of the year!

      Delete

Hey, feel free to add a comment!
Please no swearing / inappropriate language etc., please.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!